Spring: Pre season checks
Pre-season checks are essential to avoid getting off to a bad start or problems later in the season. Here’s some tips to help avoid some of the most common problems we see;
• Check for any missing pins or loose fittings.
• Inspect the rig for any signs of corrosion – especially around rivets and terminals
• Reverse any steps taken to winterise such as rags in air intakes.
• Hoses, clips and belts. Check for tightness and replace any that are suspect.
• Undertake any service due before the start of the season
Hull and other equipment
• Ensure any hull fittings removed during the winter have been replaced.
• Electrical systems. Replace any faulty or suspect components or wiring – a common cause of fires.
• Flexible fuel pipes, filler caps and hoses, including seals. Check for any signs of deterioration or leaks.
• Check tyres and wheel bearings
• Inspect and lubricate hitch mechanisms
• Identify and deal with any significant corrosion
• Securing straps – check for wear and tear and damage caused by UV light which can cause them to become brittle
• Are fire extinguishers still in date and fully charged?
• Check condition of life jackets and buoyancy aids.
• Replace distress flares and any other safety devices as necessary